Gambling Licensing

Operating Licences

All Gambling Activities are now regulated by the Gambling Act 2005. Most regular Operators will require an Operating Licence and depending on the size of the business key personnel within the organisation will require a Personal Licence both of which are issued by the Gambling Commission. Operating Licences are available for both remote and non-remote operations and cover.

  • Amusement arcades
  • Betting shops
  • On-course Bookmakers
  • Pool Promoters
  • Bingo clubs
  • Casinos
  • Society Lotteries
  • External Lotteries
  • Supply and repair of gaming machines

It is possible to have a combination of operations on one Operating Licence provided they do not include both remote and non remote gambling.

Operators offering the use of gaming machines should be aware that if they deal with repairs in-house or sell gaming machines from time to time they are currently required to have an Operating Licence authorising such activities. A permit is available from the Gambling Commission for repairing or selling a single machine.

Operators are required to pay an annual fee to the Gambling Commission and submit annual Regulatory Returns for each licensed gambling activity. We can advise you on the right Operating Licence for your business, deal with the detailed application to the Gambling Commission and assist you in dealing with annual requirements. As a Client we will also alert you to any further amendments to the gambling laws that may affect your business.

Premises Licence

Most Operators offering non remote gambling will also need a Premises Licence, issued by the local Licensing Authority for each premises operating as:-

  • Amusement arcade
    • Family Entertainment Centre
    • Adult Gaming Centre
  • Betting shop
  • Bingo club
  • Casino

Annual fees are due for each Premises Licence and the fee varies around the country. We can advise you on the right Premises Licence for your business and how to maximise the number and categories of gaming machines you can offer, while reducing your annual fee liability. We will assist your business in dealing with applications for new Premises Licences, variations and transfers on the purchase of new businesses.


Some Operators do not require a Licence and their operations are regulated by permits issued by the local Licensing Authority. All premises with an on site alcohol licence issued under the Licensing Act 2003 are automatically entitle to offer up top two category C gaming machines for use provided the issuing authority has been notified.

  • Licensed Premises Gaming machine Permit where more than two gaming machines are available
  • Club gaming permit
  • Prize gaming permit
  • Family entertainment gaming machine permit where only category D gaming machines are available.

There are also additional rules for playing poker, bingo and other equal chance gaming in Pubs and Clubs with an alcohol licence. We can advise you on whether your business and its customers are complying with the Gambling Act 2005.

Temporary Use Notice

  • Must hold an Operating Licence
  • Use of premises for no more than 21 days in 12 month period

AWPs in Chip Shops, Taxi Offices and other non-gambling premises

Please note that all existing s34 expired by the 31 July 2009, and gaming machines are no longer permitted in such establishments. If you are in any doubt as to whether this will effect you we can advise you


What to look for when gambling online

A leaflet has now been published by the Gambling Commission which sets out the things consumers should look for when gambling or considering whether to gamble online. Gambling websites will offer different levels of protection and consumers should satisfy themselves that they are happy to gamble before doing so. Click here to view a copy of the leaflet.

Contact Us

For further information or advice on Gambling Licensing, please e-mail or contact Debbie Hough on 01507 522456.

Contact Details

Gambling Licensing Team

 Contact EmailOfficePhone Number 
Debbie Hough
  • Spalding
01775 725664 Details…