Lib Dem Manifesto
- AuthorNatasha Halliday
The Liberal Democrat Party published its 2019 Election Manifesto earlier this week. The noteworthy employment-related commitments include:
- Amending the Equality Act 2010 to include protection for Gender Identity and Expression; and to prohibit Caste discrimination.
- Establish a "Worker Protection Enforcement Authority" to protect those in "precarious" employment.
- Change the right to request flexible working to being a "day 1" right.
- Create a new category of worker to be known as a "Dependent Contractor" with entitlement to Minimum earning levels, sick pay and holiday entitlement.
- Create enhanced minimum wage entitlement and a right to request fixed hours for all zero-hours workers.
- Strengthen Trade Union rights.
- Introduction of "Skills Wallets"; a £10,000 fund per person to support lifelong learning of new skills .
- Creating a right for employees of large listed companies to request shares be held in trust for the benefit of employees; and for such companies to have an employee representative on the Board.
- Requiring executive pay policies to be decided by shareholder vote.
- Set up an independent review to determinea "genuine Living Wage".
- Extend pay gap reporting to include BAME and LGBT+ employees.
- Increase statutory Paternity pay from 2 weeks to 6 weeks.