Chattertons Solicitors Banner Image

Family Law Solicitors in Lincoln

We can’t always control where life will take our families. So when challenges arise, knowing where to turn for help and support is essential.

Our team of friendly and approachable family law solicitors in Lincoln can provide practical guidance to help clients through some of the toughest times they and their families are likely to ever face.

Our advice covers a whole range of issues, including supporting couples through divorce, civil partnership dissolution or separation and advising on arrangements for children.

For expert family law advice in Lincoln or throughout Lincolnshire, get in touch by giving us a call or filling in our online enquiry form.

Our family law expertise

  • No fault divorce
  • Civil partnerships and no fault dissolution
  • Separation
  • Financial arrangements upon relationship breakdown
  • Arrangements for children
  • Cohabitation disputes and Cohabitation Agreements
  • Pre nuptial agreements and post nuptial agreements
  • Divorce and business assets
  • Independent financial advice via Chattertons’ Wealth Management team

Many of our family team are members of Resolution. An organisation which promotes a non-confrontational approach to resolving issues arising from divorce

We take a robust approach to all matters, working tirelessly to achieve fair, positive outcomes for our clients. We understand the emotional pain that going through family issues can cause, particularly where children are involved, and the need to keep conflict to a minimum. Wherever possible, we will help you work through your issues constructively, avoiding the cost and stress of court in the process.

We can also provide vigorous representation during any court proceedings, making sure we protect your legal rights and the best interests of your children at all times.


Who will take on my case?

Our Lincoln family law team includes a range of Partners, Solicitors, Legal Executives and other legal professionals who can assist with your case.

When you first instruct us, you will be allocated a main case worker who will be responsible for ensuring your matter stays on track (although other lawyers may work on your case from time to time).

Your personal lawyer will be your first point of contact. So, if you have any concerns or enquiries throughout the course of your matter, all you need to do is get in touch using the direct contact details we provide and your lawyer will respond promptly.

Will I have to go to court?

It ultimately depends on the individual circumstances of your case. However, for the vast majority of matters, we are able to help families come to an arrangement without going to court.

Where an out-of-court agreement is made (for example, a prenuptial agreement, parenting plan or voluntary divorce financial settlement) the only point you need to engage the court is to apply for a Consent Order to make the agreement legally binding.

What is mediation?

Mediation is an alternative to going to court. It is a way to resolve family law issues, such as divorce financial matters and arrangements for children, without going through the stress of costly and lengthy legal proceedings.

It involves attending a series of meetings with the other party and a qualified mediator. The mediator’s role is not to provide legal advice but to guide your discussions and help defuse any conflict. Any agreement you come to as a result of mediation can later be made legally binding by applying to court for a Consent Order.

Do I have to go to mediation?

It is now the rule that everyone seeking to make a court application about children or a family financial issue must first attend a Mediation Information and Assessment Meeting (MIAM), unless you are exempt. This process is to see whether your case might be suitable for mediation.

You can only be exempt from attending a MIAM in certain circumstances. For example, if there are issues of domestic violence or a mediator has already assessed that your case is not suitable for mediation.

Just because you attend a MIAM does not mean you have to attend mediation. Although it has an impressive success rate, mediation is not for everyone. We can provide further advice about the benefits of mediation and other forms of Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) so you can make an informed decision about how to proceed.

Do I need a family law solicitor?

Many people choose not to instruct a legal specialist on the assumption that they can sort their issues out between themselves. In some cases this works fine, but in others, taking part in emotionally difficult family proceedings without the support of a legal professional can actually cause conflicts to escalate.

The benefits of instructing one of our family team include:

  • We have in-depth legal expertise and can help you understand your legal rights and explore all possible options
  • Our family lawyers are skilled negotiators, able to help families defuse conflict and find constructive solutions
  • If you do come to an out-of-court agreement, we can put your terms into writing, ensuring every possible issue is covered to prevent further disputes
  • We can also help you make your agreement legally binding, allowing you to take legal action if it is breached. If you do not take this step, there is nothing to stop the other party from simply ignoring the agreement
  • If it turns out you cannot come to an agreement and need to go to court, we will already be familiar with your case and will be perfectly placed to help you take legal action

As well as this practical assistance, we act as a pillar of support for our clients at what is usually a very difficult time. We are happy for you to rely on us and aim to take the pressure off as much as possible. From helping you weigh up your options, to handling negotiations on your behalf, to drafting your legal documents, we will work tirelessly to help you reach a positive outcome.

Contact our family law solicitors in Lincoln

For expert family law advice in Lincoln or throughout Lincolnshire, get in touch by giving us a call or filling in our online enquiry form.