Chattertons Solicitors Banner Image
News and Events

Have you received medical treatment and something went wrong or you feel that something isn't quite right?

View profile for Katherine Cairns
  • Posted
  • Author

Write down any concerns

It is always easier to look back over written notes and a timeline of events than relying on memory. You should try to write down a timeline of any key appointments or treatment, what medical professionals have told you, and the concerns you have.

Speak to the medical professionals involved in your treatment

It is easy to assume that a mistake has been made if the outcome of your treatment was not as you hoped or something unexpected happened. Unfortunately, medical professionals cannot solve all our health problems and most medical procedures carry risks.

If you have concerns, feel free to raise them in the first instance with your GP or other health professional. They may be able to address your concerns or reassure you that everything is as it should be.

Make a complaint in writing

If you are still not happy, you may wish to make a written complaint. You should include a full account of what treatment you received and what your concerns are. You may also wish to request copies of your medical records, which should be provided within 30 days.

Details of how and where to make complaints and request records should be available online or by telephoning the organisation you are complaining about.

  • Complaints about GPs are usually made to the Practice Manager, who will then to investigate.
  • NHS hospitals and other NHS providers such as Urgent Treatment Centres, will be part of a NHS Trust. The Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) offers confidential advice, support and information on health-related matters for patients, their families and their carers. You can find PALS officers in your local hospital and online.

Speak to a medical negligence solicitor

If you are still dissatisfied or you believe a mistake has been made, you should get in touch with a solicitor as soon as possible. There are strict time-limits for bringing claims so the sooner you take legal advice, the better.

If you think you or a loved one may have a claim, please contact Katherine Cairns for a free initial consultation on 01780 750794 or email: