Many couples prefer to cohabit rather than marry. Cohabiting couples form the fastest growing family structure in the UK, and yet many people are uncertain as to their position if the relationship ends. 

The situation is not helped by the huge amount of myths surrounding the issue of cohabitation and the rights of individuals. There are measures that cohabiting couples can take to help to provide certainty and security and to prevent problems in the event of a breakdown of the relationship, such as Cohabitation Agreements, dealing with the issue of Parental Responsibility, agreeing a sensible approach to buying joint property, and making a will. Our lawyers can help you with all of these to give you peace of mind.

The law concerning unmarried couples is developing, and if you find yourself in a situation where you need advice then seek it from a specialist who understands and is fully versed in this fast changing area of law.

Contact Us

If you would like to talk to a member of our specialist Family Law team please contact your local office or complete our online enquiry form.