Chattertons Solicitors Banner Image
News and Events

Protecting your hard-earned assets

View profile for David Rogerson
  • Posted
  • Author

Businesses and private individuals all rely on the expertise of investment advisors to make sure they maximise their financial assets and minimise tax liabilities.

However, investment advisors may rely on the professional expertise of a network of accountants or independent financial advisors (IFAs) to recommend financial products to investors. If a product fails, an investor can be left in a serious position financially as a result of negligent investment advice.

Claims for negligent investment advice might involve financial loss as a result of:

  • Being sold a financial product that was not suitable for your circumstances
  • Criminal financial irregularities related to an investment product
  • Mis-sold financial products (e.g. investment bond, ISA, pension)
  • Not being advised of the risks of a financial product
  • Receiving less from a pension fund than was paid into it
  • Being sold a financial product without being aware the financial advisor or mortgage broker is receiving commission

However, just because an investment does not achieve what was hoped of it, does not necessarily mean that it was mis-sold or that the Advisor was negligent.

Whilst it is always advisable to deal with any problems as soon as possible, Clients considering suing an investment advisor for professional negligence have six years from the date of the event constituting negligence or three years from the date they first realised negligence had occurred, in which to make a claim.

Because of the complexity of suing a pensions advisor and proving that they failed in their duty of care towards a client or acted negligently in carrying out their duties, we advise clients whose investment advisor has given them negligent financial planning advice to get in touch as soon as possible for an assessment of their case.

Seek specialist advice by contacting David Rogerson at Chattertons 01636 675563 or